Friday, December 4, 2009

Eating... A Full Time Job

When I was being discharged from the hospital I asked my Dr. if she could write me a Rx for the heavy duty vomitting I was experiencing to which she kindly replied "No." I was a little stunned by her response but she went on to say that this is a normal experience of a twin pregnancy and that if I commit to eating every 2 hours (YES, she said every two hours) then by week 14 I should be experiencing a vomit-less pregnancy.

Eating every two hours was not something I looked forward to. Most days I was lucky if I could keep down a package of crackers and some soup and most days I was not lucky. Thankfully though God has gifted me with an amazing and wonderful husband who loves to take care of me and make sure I am following my Dr.'s orders and the first day we were home he busied himself shopping for all kinds of snacks and things that I could eat throughout the day. Day one was a little difficult, I found myself eating a poached egg and a piece of toast for 3 of my 2-hr. feedings since it was also a little difficult to find things I could keep down. Slowly over the last week my appetite has increased, I have vomitted less, I am eating more foods, and I even gained 3.5 lbs!!

Here's what a typical day of eating looks like:
8:30am- vomit fest followed by crackers
9:30am- toast and poached egg
11:30am- Maizena (DR version of a cook and serve pudding- light on the tummy) or oatmeal
1:30pm- yesterday it was leftover tuna noodle casserole with tortilla chips!!
3:30pm- more crackers with cheese
5:30pm- apple with PB
7:30pm- tomato soup with noodles
9:30pm- Skim Ice popscicle (that doesn't really count... sometimes I will eat a few more crackers if I need to or something similar)

Still not a ton of calories (it is recommended that I eat close to 2700 calories a day- 300 extra calories per baby)

Eating this was is a huge accomplishment for me because I had lost 9 lbs. in between my monthly Dr.'s appt. We are definitely celebrating this small weight gain. In fact, one thing I am learning about twin pregnancies that are different from a singleton is pregnancy is the direct correlation between a mother's weight gain and the weight of her (almost guaranteed preemie) babies. The more weight I can gain (goal is 40 lbs) it is thought the healthier weight my babies will be at the time of delivery. This is especially important because if they are born early (besides health complications) they need to weigh around 4lbs a piece to be released from the hospital. With normal weight gain estimated to be about 1 lb. a week they could be in the hospital for weeks until they hit their goal weight to be released. Which has made it my personal job to eat, eat, eat and then eat some more.

My diet is still pretty bland at this point, but it is looking much better each day as I can "reintroduce" new foods into my sensitive tummy! I also started taking prenatals yesterday (cut in half taken with two meals!).

There has been so much to celebrate in this last week and we are so thankful to God, he is our Sustainer and our Life! We love Him dearly and look forward with nervous anticipation at the joys and trials of raising children who seek to know and follow after Him!

Much love,
Jackie

4 comments:

  1. is happy you are keeping food down.. eat! eat! eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going better! What iremeber from Laura's Pregnancy was how important the type of food you ate as well. lots of protien, not much sugar... you know the usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ask your doctor about Mama Care...Dr. Gonell gave it to me when i was pregos with the girls in the DR...it's a supplement that you can make in a milkshake each day and will help you put on the calories...it's chocolate too so you're more likely to keep it down! :) praying for you! Price Mart carries large bags of frozen fruits that make quick easy smoothies too that will pack in the nutrients and again are easier to keep down. love you! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vic!!! I actually got the mama care stuff and the first time I tried to make a milkshake with it (just milk and ice and the vanilla kind) I threw it all up... it's on the top of my list of things I do NOT like to throw up!!! But, that was awhile ago.. I am looking forward to trying it again... how did you make yours? Thanks for reminding me to give that a try again!!

    ReplyDelete