Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Inspiration of the Week: The Great Work of Forgiveness

"Forgiveness doesn't make the other person right; it makes you free." Stormie Omartian

I am reading a great book called "The power of Prayer to Change Your Marriage." I wouldn't say our marriage is in trouble, but only being married for 15 months with 3 month old twins I'd say we have a few things to learn. They say your newlyweds for the first 5 years of your marriage as you learn to communicate and do life together. 

Let me tell you, communication gets real tricky when your both sleep deprived & taking care of infants full-time. 

Sadly, one would think your prayers would get stronger during this time, but my prayer life began to seriously suffer after the girls were born, thus affecting all other aspects of life, namely my marriage.

So I picked up this book, after reading another one of her books because I love that you pray scripture and proclaim God's truths. There is power in knowing that your prayers will be answered and will be heard when you pray God's word. 

The truth about forgiveness is that it starts with you and with God. You must choose to forgive everyday and if you have an unforgiving spirit you WILL miss out on God's blessings. It Will affect your prayer life (Mark 11:25) and it gives way for Satan to work in your own life. (2 Cor. 2:11)

When we have an attitude of unforgiveness it is a grievous sin against God and we should repent and be very sorry for the sprit we have. We need to confess and ask to be forgiven of this as we learn to forgive others. 

Here's a few things/verses I learned about not forgiving that are scary enough to make me want to daily bow before God and ask Him to show me where there is unforgiveness in my heart so that I may live in freedom.

Not forgiving means you won't be forgiven by God
"But if you don't forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Matthew 6:15

Not forgiving delays the answers to your prayers
"Whenever you stand praying , if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses." Mark 11:25

Not forgiving means you are walking in darkness
"He who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes." 1 John 2:11

 And here are a few promises that excite me about what happens when we forgive!

Forgiving brings blessings to you
"finally all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing" 1 Peter 3:8-9

Forgiving allows you to be forgiven
"Judge not and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

Forgiving makes you Christlike
Even as Christ forgave you, so you must also do" Colossians 3:13

Forgiving is a way to pursue peace and keep from becoming bitter
"pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord; look carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled" Hebrews 12: 14-15

Forgiveness, I am learning is about repentance and love. To love someone enough to forgive and to repent to our God of any unforgiveness in our hearts. It is a daily work, not something we do once a month or once a year, but a daily turning to God in prayer in a posture of repentance... and it is hard! 

Please pray with me that my life might reflect this attitude of forgiveness that I might not miss His blessings in my life and in my marriage and that we will live in freedom!

Where do you stand when it comes to forgiveness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment